I was trying to push some changes to GitHub using mysysgit and kept getting this “Permission denied” error. The problem was with my public keys. I changed my email address when I set –
git config user.email “emailaddress”
Clever, I know :] Anyway, so what I did to get around it was –
- go into – C:Usersusername.ssh
- If there’s a file there called ‘id_rsa.pub’ or ‘id_rsa’ delete both of them. If there isn’t no worries.
- Next right click on the folder of your git repository and select ‘Git GUI here’
- Select Help > Show SSH key
- This should be empty and what we want to do here is click generate key
- Follow the prompts until you get your public key
- Click copy to clipboard
- What we want to do now is save this public key on our GitHub account. So go to your Account Settings on GitHub and select the public keys link
- Click add public key and give it some meaningful name. I used the user identifier after the ‘==’
I hope that works for you and saves you some time. Live long and prosper.